This is some of my sketchbook work and finished pieces for the curiosities project a few months back.
‘Showing our escalating reliance, obsession and inescapable attachment to technology, as well as highlighting our taking of it for granted; I aim in an engaging and fun set of drawings and prints to show historical figures using gadgets, in a way that questions some of our 21st century habits.’
Here I ensure the accuracy of the final thing by measuring, checking and rubbing out the most in the whole process. Some of the lines mark shadow, some mark edge and some texture… I try not to overcomplicate it early on, focussing on the basics.
Usually section by section, I start filling the lines with shadows and textures. Often I jump straight into the most important part to avoid it becoming daunting. To prevent smudging I sprayed fixative after finishing each section. This was my favourite part in the process.
The water droplets on the character’s raincoat was a new and challenging texture for me to draw. I pre-drew the lines so as to avoid my eyes getting lost and making mistakes when flicking between the drawing and the reference material.
After filling everything in, I looked at the image in the mirror to check the composition and tones to tie the piece together. Overall I’m pleased with how the final thing turned out, but in future I would like to rely less heavily on reference material.
For this project we had to select our favourite drawings from the previous 100 drawings project, deciding which ones would work best as series, a diptych or a triptych. Once I had picked my top nine to form three triptychs, I had to upscale them to A3 using a different printing, painting or pencil technique for each one.
I’ll publish the final images as I create them so as to avoid confusing you (and myself)!
These three are based on archways, a theme picked up from the stain glass work of Thomas Denny. I liked the flow of the images as they led into each other. The textures on either side allowed me to emphasise the link between them. As demonstrated on the left hand pre-drawing I outlined the pictures with ink and added texture with pencil/ graphite… Out of the media types I used for this project, pencils were what I was most comfortable with, so this was the piece I wanted to impress with. Orange was the colour used for all three sheets so as to focus purely on line, texture and intricacy. The gaps in the archways were left as negative space so as to not overcomplicate the image, as well as letting the viewer focus on the various archways.
Originally at the pre sketch stage I was going to have the ‘Tree-Bark’ image on the left, but after viewing the final A3 images together I saw it was best to have it in the middle, surround by the man made structures.
Although at a glance the two man-made structures look completely symmetrical, I deliberately made faults. This was a after a tutor pointed out that although these buildings were beautiful, because of the time they were built there were clumsy mistakes due to human error. The deliberate faults on my part were to mirror these mistakes.
I enjoyed the exercise and I’m happy with the final outcome of this particular triptych, as I achieved everything I set out to do and even explored some new drawing techniques and methods. The complex use of line, tone and texture is what makes the piece look intricate. I believe the individual sections compliment each other yet also work well as separate pieces. My only concern with this piece is that perhaps they do not quite fit the brief in that they’re not entirely abstract, although still have abstract elements.
Drawing is my preferred technique to use, this one went well because of that. I expect to find the printing and painting based triptychs more challenging.